quecreek mine rescue site

Complimentary Admission for up to four people

Location

140 Haupt Road 

Somerset, PA 15501

Phone

815-445-5090

Website

https://www.9for9.org

Hours

Monument for Life Memorial Park

Dawn to Dusk (weather permitting)

Educational Visitors Center

Daily; Scheduled tours recommended

Closed Winter

The Quecreek Mine Rescue took place in Somerset County, PA, when nine miners were trapped underground from July 24-28, 2002. It was caused by an accidental breach of a flooded neighboring mine, and was first reported by miners who had escaped from another part of the mine. 

Rescue operations started immediately and continued for four days, while the world anxiously watched the rescue efforts on television. Although there were complications that occurred during the rescue, all nine miners were eventually rescued after the four-day ordeal. Since then, books, songs, and documentaries have been written about the event.

Construction for a memorial park was begun in March, 2003 at the Dormel Farm field where the drilling rescue operations took place, and a Monument for Life is being built to honor rescue workers and to serve as a tribute to coal miners.  When completed, it will be a five-acre site that will contain a Welcome Center featuring information and artifacts from the rescue.  It is supported by donations to the Quecreek Mine Rescue Foundation, a non-profit charitable organization.

An affiliate of the Heinz History Center, The Quecreek Mine Rescue Site works to educate visitors, preserve the site, and celebrate this inspirational story.

The David bradford house

Complimentary Admission for up to four people

Location

175 South Main Street 

Washington, PA 15301

Phone

724-222-3604

Website

http://www.bradfordhouse.org

Hours

April through November

11 AM to 3 PM Wednesday - Saturday

With advance notice, tours can be scheduled 7 days/week throughout the year.

Check website for special tours and events!

David Bradford was a successful lawyer, businessman and Deputy Attorney General of Washington County.  The construction on his house began in 1786 and was completed in 1788.  His home reflected his high social standing, not only because of its size but also because of its construction.  It was an architectural showpiece, especially for the time period, and its rustic surroundings. 

The Bradford family lived in the house from 1788 to 1794.  However, their residence was cut short because of David’s leadership role in the Whiskey Rebellion, which was an uprising of farmers and distillers in Western Pennsylvania who opposed a whiskey tax enacted by the federal government.  When 13,000 troops were sent to end the protest, David fled south to present-day Louisiana to avoid being arrested. 

Over the years, the house sustained much damage.  In 1959, the PA Historical and Museum Commission took control of the property and supervised a complete restoration of the home, a log kitchen building, and the Sign of Seven Stars tavern exhibit. 

In addition to tours of the house, many special tours and programs are offered during the year: 

· Taste of Tavern Tour

· School Tours

· Combination Tour with the LeMoyne House

· Weddings

· Boy Scout Workshops

· Outreach Programs

· Symposiums

· Whiskey Rebellion Dinner

An affiliate of the Heinz History Center, the David Bradford House enables visitors to witness and experience the architecture, events, and atmosphere of Western Pennsylvania during the 18th century.